This classic Italian dessert is made with ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese in a trifle bowl or a springform pan
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers
- 1/3 cup coffee flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.
- Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.
Yield: 12 servings