I created this zippy side dish after eating something similar at a restaurant. It complements any Tex-Mex meal wonderfully. you can add cubes of grilled chicken breast to the rice to make a meal.
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Southwestern Seasoning ( Taco seasoning)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, rice, and seasoning; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add beans, tomatoes and corn; heat through.
Makes 8-10 servings